Monday, May 4, 2009

Cute Train Birthday Cake

So, here it is. The much anticipated (ha!) train birthday cake! I think it turned out pretty cute. There are definitley some things I would do differently, but all in all, it's a train, what else can you ask for?

I think I put too many train cars on there. I should have left one off, so you could see more of the track. It turned out really cute and you can't see it at all. Oh well. Live and Learn.

I just made 7 small loaf pans of cake. I froze them and once I was ready to use them I started hacking away. I cut kind of a well, or a hole in the top of 3 of the cakes, to use as cargo cars. Basically just so I could load them with candy and it wouldn't spill over the edges, to kind of contain it! I left the other one just regular and frosted it, for the animal cage. For the engine, I cut the front of it into a V for the cattle guard and stacked another cake on top and then just another little piece, just to give it some dimension. I don't know that it necessarily looks like an engine, but you get the idea. I gave them all a "crumb coat" of frosting and refrigerated them to stiffen up the frosting a bit. Right before I was ready to assemble the cake, I gave them a final frost and placed them on the tracks.


Up close on the engine.


For the tracks, I used those peppermint sticks. I think they were on clearance from Christmas. They were the perfect width. Then I cut chocolate twizzlers in half lengthwise, and placed them across the sticks. See why I wanted to be able to see it. Pretty cute. I just made mini cupcakes, frosted the tops and wrote on them "choo choo Cole's 2" not very creative, but it gets the point across.

The final product. I just took some white frosting and added some details to the cars. For the animal car, I used toothpicks with dots on top. I couldn't really think of a way to make a "circus car" so, I guess that works :)!! I used a little bit of polyfil (batting) for the smoke. I just kind of pulled it apart so it looked like smoke and stuck a toothpick through it to hold it on. For the headlight, a Dot with a toothpick through it! Tootsie rolls for logs, whoppers for coal (whatever!), m & m's for well, m & m's I suppose. It just looked cute!



Not too shabby!





Try it, let me know what you think!!

3 comments:

  1. Seriously Cute!! So good, you could have 2 day jobs (you always have to do hair).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job! It looks amazing! Of course, I didn't expect anything less than that from you. You put my train to shame. But thats okay. I know all my kids notice is the candy anyway, so who had better candy? Probably you, I'm sure they wouldn't be able to take their eyes off the donuts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it! you did a great job. I made a couple more cakes this last week--i'll send you pictures soon.

    ReplyDelete